QuietStove.com

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Blog Status 5 Jun 2012

Rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated. :)

 Yes, I still exist even though I haven't been blogging much lately. My new job requires a good deal of commuter travel. Commuting more than 2 hours a day in heavy Southern California urban traffic seems to have sapped my energy to the point where blogging isn't very appealing, even blogging on a fascinating subject like stoves.

Time also is far more dear. With my old job, I had in effect an extra 2.5 hours per day. Those extra 2.5 hours per day are now a thing of the past. Still, I hope to periodically post some updates, and who knows my job situation may change again.  I'm still getting out and dealing with interesting stoves, stoves which I think are worthy of your attention, stoves that I'd like to share with you.

My first priority is of course to keep my family fed, clothed, and housed. My stove blog will never make any real money, and I'll never come anywhere close to being able to earn a living through blogging, so my blog is and will remain just a hobby. My family must of course come first. I do hope you understand and will bear with me.  

In order to whet your appetite, here are a few previews of coming attractions:
The new Primus OmniLite Ti (Right)
Baking on the trail.
Snow melting 101
The Snow Peak white gas stove (a personal favorite)
Wood stoves compared

Stay tuned!

HJ

8 comments:

  1. Time is always hard to come by and some of it needs to be idle time. I wish you the best in your job and your life. I hope that you find some time to share your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Bill,

      Nice to hear from you. I hadn't seen one of your comments for a while. Good to know you're still out there. Thanks for your good wishes.

      HJ

      Delete
  2. Jim, glad to here your demise was highly overrated! I was getting a little worried! :)

    Jobs can suck and traffic in Southern California really sucks! I lived in LA for a couple years and I really hated the traffic.

    Stay sate and have fun, we all look forward to any review you are able to post.

    Wolfman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Wolfman,

      Yeah, sorry to be so "missing in action" lately. Gotta keep the family fed and all that. Will post as I am able.

      HJ

      Delete
  3. Hey, Jim,

    You may remember me from the Wednesday evening Echo Mtn hikes. I was the pesky photographer! I too have a new job which require a lot more time. My blogging has been shelved for the most part for now. I miss the creative outlet, but I still manage to get out and backpack. I really appreciate your work on stoves. I had no idea your depth of knowledge when you were brewing up concoctions on the walls of the old, "White City" ruins.

    Hopefully I'll see you on the trail one day.

    jt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, JT,

    I love photography, so it's never a problem. :)

    One of the pains of my new job is that I can no longer go with the group up to Echo anymore. I did an awful lot of field testing there. It's frequently windy and exposed, so it was a really good test bed. I think most people had no idea what I was up to. They just thought I was cooking dinner. :)

    See ya on the trail...

    HJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim sometimes its important to evaluate lifes priorities. Time money and how big of a house or how fancy of a car you drive and the hours needed to pay for it all versus the enjoyable life we should focus on. Keep that in mind. As I am sure many here would agree we really enjoy your blog and bed testing, advice on stoves. Honestly I really have to say its in par or better than most articles I have read in most backpacking magazines. I am looking forward to reading the article on the new OmniLite Ti and the wood burning stoves article. Perhaps you may have a future job at packpackers magazine? Keep the great stuff coming. Thank you very much for the hard work you put in so others can learn and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bro. This job isn't forever. We'll see what shakes out.

      HJ

      Delete

My apologies to real people, but due to Spammers I have to moderate comments. I'll get to this as rapidly as possible but do understand that I like to hike and there's no internet in the wilderness. Take care and stove on!