QuietStove.com

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Blog Status, 1 Feb 2012

Well, I've got ads up now on my blog.  Last month I earned $15.55.  I put up 19 posts.  It takes me about 8 hours to do a post (on average).  That means I invested somewhere around 150 hours of my time and in return the blog earned $15.55 or about $0.10/hour.  Hmm.

Well, at ten cents per hour, ads are hardly worth it.  If the ads are annoying or anything like that, let me know and maybe I'll remove them.  I was hoping that the blog would at least pay my monthly stove fuel costs and fuel costs to drive to the trailheads, but no such luck.

Please don't click repeatedly on an ad or anything like that in a misguided effort to support the blog.  I believe that "they" will assume it's "foul play" and disqualify me from the ad program entirely.

By the way, I sincerely hope you find some good information here.  The blog was not started to earn money, neither is that its function now.

HJ

9 comments:

  1. They're fairly unobtrusive, I'm cool with them as long as the ads don't play any sound/music.

    On a sidenote, which do you prefer/recommend the Snow Peak GigaPower or the MSR MicroRocket Stove.

    Cheers,
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to give it time. You also need to work on your SEO and really move off Blogspot and on to Wordpress :) I suggest you invest some time at http://tentblogger.com/. John has gone full time blogging.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colin:

    The MicroRocket is a bit lighter and a bit more compact, but the GigaPower has better pot stability and a better flame pattern. I think which is the better stove will depend on the individual, but for me, I actually prefer the GigaPower. The GigaPower is also $20 cheaper.

    HJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little tip - never, ever, EVER encourage visitors to click on the ads if you get paid per click as it is usually grounds for instant termination and forfeiture of all unpaid funds.

    Making money from blogs does take a little time and research, but it is certainly possible to make a nice income without the adverts becoming intrusive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh, oh. I know you can't offer some kind of reward for clicking, but I wasn't aware that you couldn't ask nicely. Odd in a way. You would think that sellers would welcome the opportunity to have people get all the way to their site.

    I'll remove my request for now lest it disqualify me for all time.

    HJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, wordpress doesn't have ads - the ads they have are all posted by the parent company so they earn instead. Bloggers don't get paid, and can't add their own ads unless they set up their own server.

    I say stick it out with blogger until something changes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Urban I assume you are referring to Wordpress.com which is quite different to using the Wordpress.org blogging platform to blog. My reference was to the Wordpress.org platform.

    I can assure you I get paid for the advertising on my site. Also the nature of Wordpress means I have far more control over my blog than I ever got with Blogger.

    Take a look around. How many serious bloggers use Blogger as opposed to Wordpress and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to you both for the ideas and discussion. I may have to give Wordpress (.org) a look.

    HJ

    ReplyDelete

My apologies to real people, but due to Spammers I have to moderate comments. I'll get to this as rapidly as possible but do understand that I like to hike and there's no internet in the wilderness. Take care and stove on!